3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.

The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.

Please consider registering

Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
Topic RSS
Jan 2007 - Domori Cru – Rio Caribe Superior (70%)
January 24, 2007
12:18 am
Martin Christy
London, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 614

Domori’s ‘low impact’ style often gives their chocolate an alcohol, rum nose, and sometimes leaves grit and small pieces of beans in the chocolate, a result of their short conching (stirring) time. This method helps to preserve the authentic flavour of the bean and shouldn’t be taken as a bad sign as such.

Rio Caribe is an example of a trinitario type bean, and is a famous variety with a long history in Venezuela. The beans for this chocolate are grown in Domori’s own Hacienda San Jose plantation, where they have been harvested since the 1860s.

With wood tones, tobacco, liquorice and cashew along with Domori’s signature fruitiness, is a fine eating chocolate.

Martin Christy
Editor
http://www.seventypercent.com

Martin Christy Editor www.seventypercent.com
February 1, 2007
4:52 pm
ChemicalMachine
USA
Forum Posts: 110

I tried this bar today.

The bar smelled of the typical wild fermented Domori acidic aroma.

I am still fairly new to Domori and not yet accustomed to the flavors which people call fermented tones, so to me these dominate the flavor profile, and I find it difficult to label the flavors. Nuts and banana were the only flavors that I could label. This bar is fairly high in acidity, and there is a slight bitterness. The texture was good, although there was a flat, hard particle which stuck to my tooth, and when I pulled it out it appeared to be a piece of white plastic… ?

I do not really see any validity to the claim that Domori’s style preserves the authentic or natural flavors of the beans. Their chocolate (obviously) tastes nothing like the raw unfermented beans, and from the raw beans an infinite number of flavor profiles can be developed through processing. I find it senseless to define a natural or authentic, as all chocolate bars are the result of processing. Perhaps they preserve the flavor of the fermented beans? Still, my understanding is that different fermentation practices lead to different fermented flavors, so I still do not see how one can define the set of natural flavors, or why Domori would prefer to omit processing which results in a more intrinsically pleasurable tasting experience.

On a more positive note, I also tried Domori’s Sur Del Lago Clasificado for the first time today, and I think that it is excellent. Definitely my favorite bar by Domori so far. It smells of chocolate, coffee, and sweetness. I initially taste a slight hint of fermented tones, but these quickly diminish and I taste bitter nuts followed by cream and a wonderful deep dark chocolate flavor, and perhaps butter, then strawberry. I thought that it was going to conclude with the strawberry, but the finish never seems to end: coffee appears and nuts reappear.

February 1, 2007
7:17 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

quote:

Originally posted by ChemicalMachine

I tried this bar today.

I do not really see any validity to the claim that Domori’s style preserves the authentic or natural flavors of the beans. Their chocolate (obviously) tastes nothing like the raw unfermented beans, and from the raw beans an infinite number of flavor profiles can be developed through processing. I find it senseless to define a natural or authentic, as all chocolate bars are the result of processing. Perhaps they preserve the flavor of the fermented beans? Still, my understanding is that different fermentation practices lead to different fermented flavors, so I still do not see how one can define the set of natural flavors, or why Domori would prefer to omit processing which results in a more intrinsically pleasurable tasting experience.

It’s true, many of chocolate’s flavors are imparted through processing, especially fermentation, which in Domori’s case is where things start to minimize in impact. What is meant by fermented notes is the alcoholic components of the flavor that further processing usually removes, but again in Domori’s case, never fully vanishes due to a lack of “refinement” since they clearly advocate a different approach than what is practiced by convention.

In general, flavor comes from two areas: the bean’s inherent assortment of sugars and proteins, and the enzymes that break them down; and the processing that occurs after fermentation. Fermentation is not just one process but rather a series that involves several acids and microbes, each of which contributes a distinct flavor to the beans as they interact with the pulp surrounding the beans. From this, several flavors (mainly fruitiness) can develop, in addition to acidity and alcoholic notes. The processing that occurs afterwards can be thought of as a means to control these notes, and as an introduction of other notes, usually of the more roasted variety.

February 16, 2007
3:32 pm
Eshra
Southgate, USA
Forum Posts: 178

Recently, I took it upon myself to purchase a 500 gram slab of this bar. I have been devouring it for several days now, enjoying every bite.

I really think this bar has something going for it. Domori’s characteristic cheese notes are further complimented by a delicious note of cream. I am indeed reminded of cream cheese when eating this bar. The woody notes definitely add good counterbalance and the texture is just so unctuous and full in the mouth that I rate this bar quite highly.

I am trying to pick out the fruitiness which is brought on by the moderate acidity… Tied in with the typical “alcohol” notes, perhaps one can sense a splash of cherry brandy but I cannot quite place it…..yet. I will draw up a review for it soon enough.

Sean