Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
January 2007 - Valrhona – Afrique (85%)
January 24, 2007
12:19 am
Martin Christy
London, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 614

This is a new innovation from Valrhona, unbranded private label bars that retailers can present in their own packaging. Part of our mission at Seventypercent is for chocolate retailers to be open about their sources and we wouldn't contemplate selling these bars without acknowledging who produced them. So here you have the bar in it's fully 'naked' form.

The 85% is the strongest in the range, and is an interesting experiment with African beans, which are not generally known as the best. While this bar has the Valrhona ‘touch’, you can only do so much with what must be a fairly generic bean source. A spikey flavour, with not much fruit top. Bearable, but arguably this might work better at a lower percentage.

We'd welcome your opinions on this chocolate and let us know if you think others would enjoy the chocolate and if we should sell the bar online in our shop.

As the ingredients are not printed on the bar, we list them here: Cocao beans from Africa, sugar, cocoa butter, emulsifier : soya lecithin, natural vanilla extract. Made in France, consume within 1 year.

Martin Christy
Editor
http://www.seventypercent.com

Martin Christy Editor www.seventypercent.com
January 24, 2007
2:08 am
ChemicalMachine
USA
Forum Posts: 110

Does this contain the same chocolate as Le Noir Extra Amer 85%?

January 24, 2007
11:43 am
Martin Christy
London, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 614

There's a very good chance it does. Does Le Noir Extra mention its bean source? We don't have it in the UK.

Martin Christy
Editor
http://www.seventypercent.com

Martin Christy Editor www.seventypercent.com
January 24, 2007
12:17 pm
ChemicalMachine
USA
Forum Posts: 110

The Le Noir Extra Amer 85% uses African beans as well.

The Le Noir Extra Amer 85% is my least favorite Valrhona product that I have tried. I found the flavours bitter and unpleasant. Lindt 85% is bitter as well, but in a pleasant way.

Le Noir Extra Amer 85% has been discussed in other threads, and IIRC no one enjoyed the bar. The reviews in the Chocopaedia or fairly negative as well.

If this is the same chocolate, I wonder if Valhrona will discontinue Le Noir Extra Amer and use the rest of their African chocolate for this unbranded product.

January 24, 2007
2:30 pm
green
Trondheim, Norway
Forum Posts: 103

What about Abinao? It is also 85%, African beans...

January 25, 2007
12:35 am
Eshra
Southgate, USA
Forum Posts: 178

I was just going to inquire about the Abinao bar. I imagine that it is probably the same as the Afrique. Suggestion: Stay away from the Abinao....it is extremely bitter. But..at least it isn't dutched;)

Sean

January 25, 2007
9:03 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

I tasted Abinao briefly at the FFS last July and found it to be similar to the horrid, rancid, and utterly despicable Le Noir Extra Amer 85% bar. I'd love to give Abinao a formal tasting, though [}:)]

January 26, 2007
9:36 am
green
Trondheim, Norway
Forum Posts: 103

quote:

Originally posted by Eshra

Suggestion: Stay away from the Abinao....it is extremely bitter. But..at least it isn't dutched;)

Exactly!
No reason to pay Valrhona-prices for a product you can buy at any grocery store.

January 2007 - Valrhona – Afrique (85%) | Chocolate Connoisseurs Club | Forum