Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
100%
May 1, 2004
6:19 pm
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

hi everyone,

i made an interesting discovery yesterday concerning 100% bars. i have previously tried 99% bars by cluizel and a german chocolatier called leysieffer (which i don't recommend) as well as domori's puro. so far all of these seemed a bit strong to me, domori's being the smoothest. yesterday though, i stumbled upon an amazing 100%! by enric rovira. it's called rajoles and is amazingly soft on the tongue. or maybe i am getting used to this stuff - might be. has anyone tried rovira bars? and if so: what do you say?
i can't speak of complexity. my foremost impression was only one of relative smoothness and strength without overwhelming bitterness.

a

May 1, 2004
6:30 pm
tom finnerty
edinburgh, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 29

agree Alex, it's the first 100 % I tried. Looking forward to the Bonnat as well.
I own a chocolate shop here in Edinburgh and we will be stocking Rovira in the autumn - looking forward to it !

May 1, 2004
6:39 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Rajoles is the name Rovira gives to his bars. They come in milk, white, 70%, and 100%. I tried the 70% last summer, and I don't remember its taste very well. I do recall, however, a fruitiness towards the end of the melt with a very nice texture. It wasn't bitter at all. I've been trying to get more the bars; all I can find locally is the Planetarium truffle box.

May 1, 2004
6:42 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

My favorite unsweetened chocolate is Puro. It's quite smooth and pretty complex, actually. The more unsweetened chocolate I eat, the smoother it seems, but after a while I need something different, a little sweeter. If you want a creamy 100%, try Slitti's, which is incredibly smooth, but imo, inferior to Domori.

May 2, 2004
1:57 am
alex_h

yeah, i figured that might have something to do with it: i am just eating way too much of the 100% stuff and i am getting used to it.

in't veld in berlin has rovira on his website (www.intveld.de), but i don't know whether he ships overseas. i admit the 70% is not something i would call very complex. but the last time i tried it i ate it a bit quickly so i can't say much other than:

-shiny chocolate, looks very nice
-breaks with a dull thud
-broken surface has a nice reddish color but many bubbles
-sweet

try the 100% and afterward a piece of the 70%. the 70% will hit you as very sweet. saves you some sugar.

ps is it just me or are some of you here just as afraid that good chocolate will not evolve but instead die out and all we will be left with is hersheys and milka?

ps 2 martin, hope the link is ok with you. i read in another posting that you don't mind, but don't want to cross you.

a

May 2, 2004
4:09 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Well, any chocolate at any percentage lower than 99 will taste sweet after eating unsweetened. I ate some Cluizel 85% right after Noir Infini and, obviously, noticed the difference immediately.

I doubt the gourmet chocolate scene will die off anytime soon; it's just picking up speed. Valrhona has been making quality chocolate since the 50s, and other brands have been around for a long time, as well. As long as the demand is present, there should be no problem, unless cocoa production becomes a problem due to uncontrollable events, such as disease, bad growing seasons, etc.

May 2, 2004
11:00 am
alex_h

yeah, i did think i was pointing out the obvious, but i figure you never know who might have missed the obvious for whatever reason.

i guess you are right. just call me pessimist. i am just afraid it's just a fad and that in the long run no one will be able to afford to make such good chocolate. but as long as we've got "nuts" like domori we should be safe, eh?
it seems to be a fad here in germany... people are now buying darker chocolate for health reasons it seems. less sugar and such. like water in the nineties.

May 2, 2004
4:48 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Well, I can guarantee that if people are eating chocolate for health benefits, then like all health crazes, it will disappear into dietary oblivion until it catches on again 20 years from now. Remember how coffee suddenly became an overnight fad? I think chocolate is the same: people will always consume it regardless. It just might seem to be extremely popular now because of the recent studies proclaiming it as a "health food." Even if this whole quality chocolate craze does actually diminish, I don't think it will disappear completely. I often worried about the same problem, but I just disregard the possibility and enjoy it while I can. Just be lucky we have the opportunity to enjoy such treats because not everyone else can.

May 3, 2004
1:12 pm
alex_h

i guess you are right. what use is it to worry? i intend to enjoy while i can... :-D

100% | Fine chocolate bar discussion | Forum