3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.

The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.

Please consider registering

Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
Topic RSS
Ampamakia & Gran Couva - 2004 vs 2003
February 15, 2005
3:33 pm
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway
Forum Posts: 299

I did a not-so-blind-test comparion of these today. With some surprising results.

Ampamakia: Similar smell, but slightly more nut in 2004. 2004 is somewhat lighter brown, 2003 more reddish.
2004: Distinct walnut taste, some liquor, cherries. More punching red fruit acidic than 2003.
2003: Less nut, otherwise similar, but less cherry and generally not so punching taste.

Gran Couva:
2004: Very chocolaty taste, some cherry but otherwise little fruit, some liquorice in the aftertaste. Distinct walnut taste.
2003: More acidic than 2004, some red fruit, somewhat darker and with a hint of smoke, not nuts, just a hint of liquorice.

Verdict: 2004 wins hands down on both. Strange result, because the first time I tried the 2004s I thought exactly the opposite. Should mention, though, that the 2003 bars were 2 months overdue on consumption date, which may have deteriorated taste.

My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic…

*** My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...
February 15, 2005
3:39 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Two months past expiration should not affect flavor. More important and critical is storage. I’ve had chocolate over a year past expiration and still tasted great.

February 15, 2005
6:30 pm
marioh
Bonn, Germany
Forum Posts: 105

I have quite the same opinion as you. The 2004 Ampamakia is better than the 2003. I have just tasted it again. And there is the new very strong aroma of nuts (I was surprised, but I discovered peanut aroma (I personally would call it peanut). I haven’t realised that before). From my point of view the 2004 is more balanced. You have very fruity aromas on the on hand and these nutty flavours on the other. So you do not have only nutty or fruity, the two complement one another. Really a great chocolate.

February 16, 2005
3:04 am
chocbloc
laurel, USA
Forum Posts: 29

Yeah, I can’t wait to try them, but it appears they may never become available at chocosphere. They seem to be having lots of problems getting shipments from some of the Euro companies.

Mike (restin’ on my laurels and my hardys too)

Mike (restin' on my laurels and my hardys too)
February 17, 2005
11:30 pm
stu
Wellington, New Zealand
Forum Posts: 9

I tried the 2004 Ampamakia recently: Thought it was fantastic! Very fruity with nicely balanced acidity.

March 17, 2005
11:09 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 308

So right about walnuts coming trough after red berries in Ampamakia 2004, was struggling to define, thank u. I get peanutty taste in Gran Couva immideately, and then v. little of lemon. Very long taste in all Valrhona singles anyways, and quite clean after, no residue, just pure fine lingering.