3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.

The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.

Please consider registering

Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
Topic RSS
Domori 75g 100% Pasta Di Cacao
November 25, 2004
9:13 pm
catinthehaaat
Forum Posts: 8

my only other experience w/ hundos is the Cuizel, which tasted like chalk. the domori 75 was however, quite the opposite. uncanny, actually, so smooth, with a mildy bitter undertone couched in creaminess…surely this is a conspiracy, and not actually unsweetened. granted it did not taste sweet, but come on, this is too good to be true (and i haven’t even tried the slittie, domori puro, et al.)

November 26, 2004
6:45 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Well, if you think that’s mild, then Slitti’s 100% will surprise you even more with its even milder flavor. Most unsweetened bars, it seems, are produced with every intention of them being consumed solely in bar form and not in confections. Perhaps, because of the rising demand of “darker” chocolate, unsweetened bars are being produced just so that they are more palatable. Indeed, the type of bean must be perfect and appropriate since there is nothing else to mask or subdue its natural bitterness, flatness, etc. The Domori 100% is quite good. I didn’t think much about it at first, but after a couple more tastings, I really grew to like it. The puckery cherry at the end was the surprising highlight for me, after the calmer banana and hazlenut tones earlier. I don’t know if I would consider Domori as being “smooth,” in the same sense as one would consider Valrhona or Cluizel. Rather, Domori’s texture is quite pasty, espcially since they conch for a shorter amount of time, and add no extra cocoa butter or lecithin (most of the times).

November 26, 2004
10:31 am
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

monte, got a supplier yet for bonnat’s 100? i’d be really interested in your opinion (or anyone else’s for that matter) as to how the h*ll they got the bar to taste so damn sweet?!

November 26, 2004
12:14 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway
Forum Posts: 397

Monte, we can’t possibly have tried the same batch of Slitti’s 100%. I find all Domori’s 100%s much milder than all other 100%s I have tried (and 99%s – haven’t tried Bonnat’s (except the drinking chocolate flakes)). I know actually cortex from Norwegian Woods tasting better than the Slitti 100% I had (yes I have tried cortex – please don’t ask why …). But of course I might have had bad luck (with Slitti, not the cortex …)

Btw, if added lecithin, it is no longer 100%, right?

May be this is the new “cheating” discussion – who is cheating on sweeteners/sugar? Who makes their own chocolate was the first one.

Chocolate is cheaper than therapy and you don’t need an appointment.

"Man cannot live by chocolate alone - but woman can." (Unknown)
November 26, 2004
3:00 pm
alex_h

what’s cortex? you mean bark?
have you tried norwegian wood? i think that’s by haruki murakami ;-)

why don’t you start a new “cheat” thread, lone?

November 26, 2004
8:28 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway

Bark – yes. Too good to be true – same word in Norwegian.
Murakami – sounds like a Cluizel bar.

I can start a new thread, but I haven’t anything to say really so I have to steal your arguments ;-) Check out the new thread.

November 27, 2004
6:18 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Lone, you speak of technicalities [:p] Its presence is at a whopping less than 2% anyway. And as far as the Slitti bar is concerned, I’m quite sure mine was very mild. I couldn’t believe it was a 100%. Maybe we had different batches of Domori.

November 27, 2004
9:50 am
legodude
Norway
Forum Posts: 161

Norwegian Wood is by The Beatles, and then Murakami tried some.

..and I must say you new moderators are the worst at going off topic.

:-)

"I`ve got lots of friends in San José. Do you know the way to San José?"
November 27, 2004
1:00 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway

I really mean it tastes like bark (from real Norwegian wood – I can even show you the tree if you like!) – as most other 100%s except Domori’s. Topic enough for me ;-) (But I cannot moderate at the moment – all the icons are gone here.)

November 27, 2004
11:42 pm
alex_h

yes, lego, u r right ;-)
but i do try!
i meant the novel “norwegian wood” by haruki murakami (does sound like a cluizel bar ;-)
now, let’s try and stay on topic [:P]