3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.

The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.

Please consider registering

Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
Topic RSS
least bitter 100% or 99% chocolate?
May 25, 2004
9:52 am
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

:-)

no, i think i might try blend no. 1 today though. i assume it will be the nutty flavor i know from other domori bars. but am curious.

i need to go back to 100% again today. i burned my tongue at lunch yesterday and maybe that caused the cheesiness in taste…

May 25, 2004
3:03 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

When you try Blend No. 1, make sure you eat at least 15g at once (try half the bar, actually) because it’s quite a complex chocolate. About the cheese flavor: I tasted bleu cheese in Amedei’s Porcelana, so I don’t know if burning your mouth influenced that at all. Maybe the beans for both bars have similar flavor profiles.

May 25, 2004
4:19 pm
alex_h

i tried a third or so of blend, but didn’t get a good taste of it. must go back for more. want my tongue to heal a bit first. though my burnt tongue doesn’t seem to have influenced the taste of other bars.

blue cheese could come close to my experience yesterday. just shocked me! will go back and try and try again.

June 6, 2004
7:02 pm
blakej
San Francisco, USA
Forum Posts: 37

I did a comparison of three 100%’s this morning: Slitti 100%, Domori Puro, and the new Domori 100%. One of the first things I noticed was how different the colors are – the Slitti is very dark brown, approaching black, the Puro is a reddish walnut, and the 100% isn’t much darker than most 70%-level bars. The textures are characteristic for the manufacturers. The flavor, of course, is the interesting part.

I suspect I was misled the first time I tried Slitti 100%. One of my local retailers had an open bar and gave me a sample. It was so pleasant I couldn’t believe it was unsweetened! In fact, I think that’s what happened; I think they must have given me some 82%. I eventually bought a bar of 100%, and it’s not sweet at all. It tastes very “dusty” to me, like there’s a curtain hanging over all the flavors, and I’m chewing on the curtain. Moreover, I realized this morning that it was this bar that tasted like asparagus, not the Conacado as I’d claimed elsewhere, and that judgement holds up to multiple tastings.

The Puro is a lot better. Complex flavor, no dustiness. My palate still isn’t used to unsweetened bars, so it was hard for me to pick out individual flavors. It’s quite sour, which is better than bitter or dusty, but still enough to leave this bar in the “curiosity” category for me. I don’t dislike it, but I won’t go out of my way to get it.

The Domori 100% is a pleasure. I’d wonder if I had been given a sweetened bar, but I opened it myself. I tasted fleeting flavors of cherry and caramel, and it’s just sweet enough that I could taste actual chocolate, not just raw cacao. This could be the canonical “need a bit of chocolate to get going” bar – it packs the maximum wallop, and it tastes good too!

June 7, 2004
5:39 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

The Slitti 100% is remarkably palatable and is probably produced mainly for straight eating. It’s flavor is so subtle and mild I wouldn’t recommend it for cooking because other ingredients would simply overpower the chocolate. It’s extremely pasty and clumpy. Slitti’s format (the big bulky squares) isn’t the best for eating because the chocolate clumps in the mouth which makes it hard to distribute the chocolate evenly. Asparagus huh? I have a recipe that calls for asparagus spears wrapped in bacon strips; maybe Slitti’s chocolate could be a suitable replacement [;)]

I didn’t find Domori’s Puro sour or bitter at all. It has pleasant flavors of bananas and mangos and has the characteristic waxiness that I really love. Does anyone else find their chocolate a bit waxy?

June 7, 2004
11:04 am
alex_h

yes, waxy waxy waxy. but that’s one reason i love domori.

i haven’t had a lot of 100 lately. seems the interest in the “novelty” has left me for now. still have 2 1/2 rajoles left…

<<ce qui fait du bien au palais ne fait du mal à l’âme>>

June 8, 2004
4:29 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Perhaps you overdid it on the unsweetened.

June 8, 2004
9:44 am
alex_h

:-D
i think at times i overdo it on chocolate in general.

<<ce qui fait du bien au palais ne fait du mal à l’âme>>

June 8, 2004
3:59 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Me too, alex. The other day, I popped 50g of Castelain 85% in my mouth right after eating two brownies.

June 8, 2004
5:04 pm
alex_h

yeah, that can happen, can’t it? i wouldn’t have slept much that night. 50g of 85%?! whew!
btw, who or what is castelain? never heard.

June 9, 2004
3:09 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

I slept fine that night; I also had a piece of key lime pie that day. Needless to say, when I arrived at the gym that day, I was wired, and after eating what I did that morning, I had plenty of energy. I felt like I could lift a house.

Castelain is a French brand that makes decent chocolate. The Macaibo 70% bar is pretty good though rather mild, especially compared to the 71% house blend. The 85% is really good; I posted my thoughts about it recently in one of these threads, so if you’re interested just do a “Castelain” search.

June 9, 2004
8:26 am
alex_h

i know what you mean when you say “wired”. one saturday a couple of weeks ago i “did” quite a bit of chocolate (including some 100%) and then went out dancing. my heart was beating like mad and i was all fidgety and sh*t. took me a while to calm down.

thanks for the info on castelain.

June 9, 2004
9:12 am
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway
Forum Posts: 397

Monte, from where do we get Castelain? ‘Plenty of energy’ and ‘could lift a house’ sounds unfamiliar, but tempting. I’d love to try that recipe … (I can eat 100g chocolate covered espresso beans before going to bed and still fall asleep like a blessed child.)

"Man cannot live by chocolate alone - but woman can." (Unknown)
June 9, 2004
10:16 am
alex_h

lucky girl! i need to watch how much cocoa i consume, otherwise i’d be up all the time without a bit of sleep.

i noticed this effect in particular when eating venchi’s 85% cuor di cacao if that’s any help to you. but if you can eat chocolate-covered espresso beans like that i don’t think my advice will do you any good.

June 9, 2004
2:55 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Well, I presume the increase of energy that day was a result of my 1700+ calorie “meal” before noon hehe. I was ravenous that day, mind you, and I don’t normally eat like that. I ate, waited, ate more, waited, and ate some more, etc. hehe. I don’t think it was the chocolate because I can eat more than a mere 50g and feel fine. I also had about three or four cups of coffee, but just like you, LoneLy, coffee doesn’t effect me much. I can drink a couple cups before bed and sleep fine. I think my body wasn’t accustomed to such a large dose of calories, and as a result, it wanted me to expend them immediately.

As for the Castelain, I got my bars from a local store. There are some food distributors that stock Castelain, so if a retailer wants to sell the chocolate, all they have to do is place an order. These distributors will also carry other brands, such as El Rey or Valrhona, so it’s fairly easy and relatively inexpensive to place a decent order without turning to serveral sources. Several kitchen stores here also sell Castelain, but I don’t think this brand does too well, simply because of lack of exposure and familiarity. His 85% is his best bar (and an excellent 85% all around), along with the Macaibo 70%, while the others are merely okay. There were some major US web sites that sold his chocolate, but they have stopped carrying it. I don’t know where to get it in Europe, but you should perhaps find it in an online store.

June 9, 2004
3:18 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway

I tried to search the web for Castelain but didn’t get anything that looked like what I wanted. I’ll probably try to write to them and ask who their providers are.

June 9, 2004
10:14 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

I haven’t tried yet, but search for “Bernard Castelain.” Also, include in your search “Macaibo,” “Noir Extreme,” or “Noir Tradition.”

June 9, 2004
10:40 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway

… and guess which pages are listed first in google when searching? ;-)

June 10, 2004
3:14 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Haha, that’s funny. He used to have a web site, but apparently it’s been removed; I can;t find it anymore. All I find are online stores and articles referring to the brand.

June 17, 2004
3:32 pm
alex_h

cool that seventypercent.com comes up on google when it comes to good chocolate :-)

a remark on rajoles 100%:

i have lost my taste for 100% chocolate for the time being. but i need to get some puro for a new kick-start.
where i used to like rajoles so much i just gave about two bars away. it isn’t as grand as my first experience anymore, too much astringency definitely! very sharp and biting taste almost.

on my shopping list today: amedei chuao, venchi 75 or 85, puro, and maybe, just maybe a bar of leysieffer (which i am getting into!).