3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.

The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.

Please consider registering

Lost password?
Advanced Search:

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

The forums are currently locked and only available for read only access
Topic RSS
least bitter 100% or 99% chocolate?
June 17, 2004
7:04 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Well, you can always give me the rest of your Rovira 100% bars; I’ll be more than happy to take them off your hands hehe [:D] Is the selection you listed what you have already purchased, or is it what you intend to?

I have some Venchi 75% cubottos left, along with some of their milk and fondente cubottos. What do you think of the 85%? I found it surprisingly mild for its percentage.

June 18, 2004
9:26 am
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

i’d be more than happy (know the george carlin skit? ;-) to give my chocolate to you. but with postage and all…

that was my list of chocolate i wanted to buy yesterday. but with shops closing early and me working late i only got around to the venchi part. i like the 85% and it is incredibly mild for its percentage. so much so that i prefer it to their 75% which is ok too. both beat slitti hands down imo.
might be able to get my hands on the other things today.
tried venchi’s licorice chocolate and really didn’t like it. luckily i had some licorice at hand to offset the taste ;-)
the only other venchi stuff i’ve tried is their gianduja or whatever it’s called. the sweet nougaty stuff. nice!

June 18, 2004
6:26 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Yeah, Cuba Venchi’s gianduja is really the best around. You can’t find any better than theirs. I haven’t tried their licorice bar, but it sounds interesting because I like the taste of licorice combined with chocolate. The 85% was too mild for me; if I’m eating a high percentage chocolate like that, then I don’t want to have to make efforts to “taste” the chocolate’s strength. Perhaps if they didn’t Dutch their chocolate, it might taste better.

Yeah, I remember that George Carlin skit, hehe. “I’ve never been fine AND dandy at the same time; I’ve been fine, but not dandy too….” I love that. Well, if you’re serious about the Rovira, I’ll pay for shipping expenses to get it over here. If you want to E-mail me regarding it, then click on my name.

I love licorice of all kinds too; my favorite is the salty kind. The saltier, the better. Since my father is Dutch, I grew up on the stuff and he’s a fanatic, as well. The only licorice I don’t particularly care for is American licorice because it’s way too sweet and tastes too artificial for me. I also love the “English licorice,” aka “All Sorts.”

It’s a shame you lost your taste for 100% chocolate. Maybe if you wait a month or two, it will return. After eating a bar, I eat a sweetened bar to I avoid the same problem you have now.

June 19, 2004
7:56 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Speaking of licorice, I finally tried the BruCo 72% anise bar. It’s not bad; the chocolate does not overpower the anise and is stronger towards the end. It’s really smooth with a bit of tobacco in the finish, which can be detected rather easily. All in all, the flavors are balanced rather well and match well too.

June 21, 2004
3:28 pm
alex_h

monte, i ended up giving my rovira to a colleague who loves it. sorry about that. but maybe next time we can arrange something.

i think i made the mistake of trying to subsist only on 100% chocolate as far as my chocolate intake was concerned.

June 21, 2004
6:08 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

That’s okay [:)]

November 15, 2004
1:33 pm
alex_h

just tried domori’s organic 100% (called chacao puro) and liked it more than domori’s puro or their 75g 100%. strong but good.

the least bitter 100%? that has got to be bonnat’s! don’t know how they do it. it is not bitter at all! even sweet. just had a small tasting here at work with five people and all were amazed. even those who don’t touch dark chocolate, much less 100%.
they’re guesses ranged from 70 to 80%.
maybe it’s the cocoa butter that does the trick, because the chocolate melts really fast. the surface when you break it has a nice reddish color.
flavor is nutty and fruity as in wine.

November 15, 2004
1:51 pm
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway
Forum Posts: 299

quote:

Originally posted by alex_hmaybe it’s the cocoa butter that does the trick, because the chocolate melts really fast.

May be some of the squirrels in the chocolate factory stumbled and dumped a sack of sugar in it [;)].

My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic…

*** My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...
November 15, 2004
1:57 pm
alex_h

you mean the squirrels that are responsible for the nuts in the other bars?
hmm, possibly maybe :-)

November 15, 2004
2:38 pm
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway

Or may be Charlie just got sloppy after all these years….[:o)]

November 15, 2004
2:39 pm
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway

Or may be Charlie just got sloppy after all these years….[:o)]

(No, I do not have too litle work to do at the job today…I think…)

November 18, 2004
6:01 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

As I recall, Slitt’s 100% was pretty tame and not bitter at all. Also, I bet that if Cuba Venchi produced an unsweetened bar, it would be the least bitter of them all.

November 18, 2004
9:57 am
alex_h

you could be right, monte. but try and get some bonnat. it is really weird.

November 18, 2004
4:57 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Believe me, I will. The last online source that carried Bonnat didn’t have the 100%, so I don’t know how recent of an addition this bar is. I think it’s been around for a while, though, because I’ve heard others mention it quite some time ago. When you send me the Chacao chocolate, you’ll have to include the Bonnat 100% hehe. Remember now, you are REQUIRED to do so hehe [;)]

November 18, 2004
5:19 pm
alex_h

oops! i think it’s time for me to say good-bye ;-)

so, what are you sending in return?

November 18, 2004
5:55 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

I’ll send you my extreme gratitude via an E-mail simply saying “Thank you!” hehe

November 18, 2004
7:02 pm
alex_h

u be careful now [;)]

December 19, 2004
11:32 am
alex_h

i think i have come up with the answer to the mysteriously sweet bonnat 100%. i assume it’s a case of mixed up wrappers. the bars sold like mad in the only store in munich to sell them. everyone was amazed at how sweet they were.
now a new load has arrived and i immediately bought a bar. this tastes like 100% now! reminiscent of domori in it’s cheesy (camembert) and subtle nut way. i haven’t had a chance to talk to the shop owner in depth because of all the xmas bustle, but will do when the season is over.
now it would be interesting to find out what bar was hidden in the first miswrapped set. and whether it is any good under normal expectations.

December 19, 2004
6:11 pm
Martin Christy
London, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 614

We had a box of Surabaya in which some bars were in fact Trinite. I only found out when I ate some out of date ones, so anything is possible.

Martin Christy
Editor
http://www.seventypercent.com

Martin Christy Editor www.seventypercent.com
December 31, 2004
7:34 pm
catinthehaaat
Forum Posts: 8

so we cannot trust the authenticity of the bars i am purchasing?