Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
least bitter 100% or 99% chocolate?
January 1, 2005
11:27 am
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

good question, cat. i often used to wonder about what is in those domori wrappers myself. now that i have developed my taste, however, i am pretty sure.

January 2, 2005
3:57 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

I just tried some Vanucci unsweetened, and it's among the least palatable of all unsweetened bars I've tried. It's gritty with a chiding bitterness. I need to conduct another tasting, though, so this is only preliminary.

January 2, 2005
10:28 pm
Martin Christy
London, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 614

With vanilla or with flavouring?

Martin Christy
Editor
http://www.seventypercent.com

Martin Christy Editor www.seventypercent.com
January 3, 2005
12:48 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Neither, just cocoa mass.

March 21, 2005
3:28 pm
ChocoDoc
Forum Posts: 4

Hello, I'm new to the forum and would like to comment about the 99-100% bars. I use chocolate as an aid to good health and therefore try to eat 100% chocolates the most with the occasional 85% bar thrown in for fun. I live in the states and quite a few of these bars are simply not available here. Anyway, the four I've tried so far are:

1. Domori Puro - dark mahogany color, faint sweet undertones, complex and moderately bitter. Very good. My favorite.

2. Cluizel Noir Infini - very dark, quite bitter which for me overpowered the rest, but there is some leather notes.

3. Slitti 100% - black and bitter. A bit chalky. Not enjoyable on 1st tasting.

4. Bonnat 100% - beautiful red color. Very acidic with mild bitterness. Quite creamy and complex. Different to be sure and quite sour, like raw-milk cheese.

ChocoDoc

March 21, 2005
8:58 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

I recommend you order from http://www.chocosphere.com. They have everything you could possibly want. Here are some unsweetened bars they offer:

Domori Puro
Domori 100%
Bonnat 100%
Slitti 100%
Cluizel Noir Infini
Scharffen Berger 99%

Also, available in couverture and pastille format:

Dagoba 100%
Cluizel Noir Infini
Callebaut 100%
Valrhona 100%
Scharffen Berger 99%

A side note about the Domori 100%. This one is not Puro, but it's a 75g bar, a blend of two varietals. It's quite good, and I highly recommend it. Also, Domori offers 100% and 80% bars (sweetened with fructose; see my post about the effects of it on the glycemic level), along with 60% and 70% bars. Although the price is $100, it might be worth checking out.
Do you eat 80%-range chocolate as well? If so, there are several options for you too.

March 21, 2005
9:55 pm
chocolatero
london
Forum Posts: 155

you probably know that all 100% are usually 99%
the rest being usually lechitin and vanilla...
chocolatero

March 22, 2005
2:45 pm
ChocoDoc
Forum Posts: 4

I have been ordering from chocosphere and am happy, however, they are unable to match the UK's selection at this time. They just added Bonnat 2 weeks ago and I have recently ordered a couple of 75% varietals. I also just ordered the Domori 100% in addition to the Puro.

As an aside, I have tried Scharffenberger in the past and found the taste to be okay, however, in my communications with them, they are not concerned with preserving the catechins (antioxidants/phytochemicals) that make chocolate so health promoting in the first place, so I don't get their chocolate anymore.

ChocoDoc

April 4, 2005
1:53 pm
green
Trondheim, Norway
Forum Posts: 103

I just finished off a cluizel 99%. Had it over three days, and never really tasted anything but bitter chocolate, except for the very last bit, when suddenly it tasted like a spoonfull of cinnamon! (Now I just want more, I like cinnamon, and it is the first chocolate in wich I have noticed such a strong flavour.) Does anybody know why this happened? Why the cinnamon didn't come out earlier?

April 4, 2005
2:01 pm
alex_h

Hi, greenie,

I think they might have actually added cinnamon. If you check the list of ingredients it should say something about spices. I'm guessing that's where the taste comes from.

How did you store the bar? Horizontally or standing on its end? Improper storing might have caused the cinammon to go to one end of the bar ;)

April 4, 2005
3:47 pm
green
Trondheim, Norway
Forum Posts: 103

Hmmm... It has been horizontal, but I did forget to put it away yesterday. Maybe the light in my livingroom had something to do with it.

April 4, 2005
4:07 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

The cinnamon flavor you detect is also present in the 72% and the 85%, but the amount he may add to Noir Infini is probably at a minimum just to achieve a slight accent, or perhaps even to achieve a more rounded flavor since he already uses quite assertive beans for this chocolate. Also, the bean ratio for each bar might differ slightly to reflect the cocoa content.

Was this the first time you tatsed Noir Infini? Sometimes, when one is introduced to a new chocolate, especially one with such a high cocoa content, he/she might experience a sensory overload. This just means that the taste buds are not acclimated to such a potency, so further consumption will adjust your palate to not only the strength but also the ability to detect the flavors which may have seemed "hidden" before.

April 4, 2005
4:16 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 308

I feel it very strongly, at the end as well, though i find it's cardamon. Feels more if i let my mouth to have a break bitween bites. Lots of M.Cluizel bars quite fruity with cardamon finish, love it. Also find it in some Amedei as well. Only Cluizel runs out so fast!

April 4, 2005
11:21 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Breaking a chocolate releases many of its aromatic properties as well, which in turn leads to greater flavor release...naturally. So, chewing a chocolate a couple times (not excessive chomping) is a good idea.

April 5, 2005
9:35 am
alex_h

green, u should turn off the light in the living room before eating the noir infini then. Maybe it would be better by candle light ;)

to distribute the cinammon in an improperly stored bar better it's a good idea to spin it a couple of times before tasting ;)

i hope no one is taking these comments seriously now. i can't imagine anyone here spinning in their living rooms with a bar of chocolate in their hands by candle light.

April 5, 2005
2:01 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom

Easy! Only may be not because of chocolate..

April 5, 2005
4:12 pm
alex_h
[?]
April 5, 2005
10:37 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom

I know, i know, one shouldn't admit to dancing alone, but can't you imaging been so silly happy at least once? and chocolate just happens to be near and jumps into hand..

April 6, 2005
9:34 am
alex_h

oh, i just didn't get what you meant...
sure! what's wrong with dancing alone? When the music is good you just can't help yourself.
my neighbors probably think I'm crazy when they look out their windows and see me practicing tango steps in my flat or just simply going all out crazy to some good sound ;)
the world needs to dance!!!

now back to 100%... ;)

April 6, 2005
10:26 am
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway
Forum Posts: 299

Something similar with me. My neighbours must think I'm mad when I sing Tom Lehrer at full voice and conducts an "air orchestra"...

My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...

*** My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...

least bitter 100% or 99% chocolate? | Page 4 | Fine chocolate bar discussion | Forum