Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
least bitter 100% or 99% chocolate?
April 6, 2005
1:18 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 308

So reassuring to know i'm not necessarily mad...
Back to 100% - enjoing a lot new thing - raw cacao nibs. I thing Martin here should cross the bridge and make it in stock here. Surely people more and more concerned with all pure and organic stuff. It's probably requires new thred, but you sounds like quite health aware person, Alex?

April 6, 2005
1:56 pm
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway
Forum Posts: 299

quote:

Originally posted by ellie

So reassuring to know i'm not necessarily mad...

You are certainly mad, you are just not alone[:)] After all, what would you call this addiction to chocolate?[:D]

My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...

*** My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...
April 6, 2005
2:23 pm
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

ellie, have you seen Domori's Kashaya that Martin has in stock? I don't know how organic they are though, but they're really good.
health aware? yeah, i guess u could call it that. One does what one can, eh? :)
mad man, polar, u r a madman! :D
i like greenie's quote in her profile.

but let's stay on topic and move this madness to: http://www.seventypercent.com/.....PIC_ID=323

April 6, 2005
2:34 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom

Mad, surely. Anyways, we're having cold rainy day with "outbrakes of sun" - perfect for rich chocolate and i seems can not stop tasting all the 99-100%. Cluizel's on top today, smells and feels so flowery, even taste pollen in it - or may be it's camelias and magnolias blossom effect. Domori's intoxicating smeel fill the room.. Friend brought some new Pate de cacao - 100% one from France, company called Au Chat Blue - "blue cat", had anyone seen? Not bad, but too bland in comparison, just plain bitter and hard. Sweet afrettaste, surprising - but i think it's just a trick of my tastebuds, my own saliva feels sweet afterwards.

April 7, 2005
7:59 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Au Chat Blue? I googled it and got some Japanese pages in return.

April 8, 2005
2:24 am
ellie
london, United Kingdom

Can't find anything myself. Not very exiting anyway, and not really accessible.

August 4, 2005
5:35 am
asmokemezzo
Forum Posts: 32

I just tried some Guittard 100% (the couverture drops, not a specific bar) and it is nearly unpalatable. Bitter, chalky, dry - UGH!

August 7, 2005
8:07 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Ouch! Sounds like it's not made for straight consumption [;)] Recently, I've tried some other unsweetened chocolates, and so far, I think one of my favorites is Bonnat's 100% or Domori Kamba 100%. Bonnat 100% is an extreme experience of tart redness, while Kamba 100% tastes like a roasted cacao bean before processing. Also red in flavor with a nice hazelnut finish.

December 11, 2005
12:38 am
rabrams
Forum Posts: 1

From a purely health perspective, would all cocoa products of the same percentage be expected to contain the same type and amount of flavanols?

December 11, 2005
3:21 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Flavonol content depends on cultivar and on post-harvest processing. Dutching, for example, removes more of the flavonols, and certain cultivars might possess more flavonols than others, but I haven't encountered any studies elaborating on the exact amounts each one possesses. Several articles claim that sufficient research has yet to be conducted to reach a conclusion, and others merely say that flavonol content differs minutely from cultivar to cultivar. More scientists are focusing on flavonol effects as a whole, with special attention to procyanidin, which is a type of flavonol found in abundant quantities in cacao, and not in other foods such as wine and blueberries. Its effects on the human body are immense and can improve insulin sensitivity, lower LDL cholesterol, lower blood pressure, decrease blood clotting, and reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease. And if you've noticed, there are all conditions related to vasoconstriction. Procyanidin increases the production of nitric oxide which relaxes the blood vessels and prevents the accumulation of platelets and allows the blood to flow easier, which in the process, obviates the accumulation of glucose in the blood. That's a very "nut shell" summary, though, so it's not as simple as that!

December 12, 2005
12:47 pm
Domenico
Budapest, Hungary
Forum Posts: 81

Hi everyone, I'd be interested to hear about your opinions on Slitti 100%. I think it is fairly above Rovira 100%, Domori Chacao 100% and Lindt 99% (the ones I recently tasted). With the new design and the leaving out of lecithine from the whole tavolette product line Slitti became my favourite. The other interesting thing is the emergence of a Bolognese company, Sugar srl, with a brand called Cuorenero. They claim they use a different, patented type of cocoa processing and make a range of spiced 100% bars. I haven't tried those yet, but if anyone has tasted a bar?

December 12, 2005
2:48 pm
Masur
Stockholm, Sweden
Forum Posts: 592

Read more about Cuorenero & co:
[url]http://www.cuorenero.it/UK/lussi.html[/url]

"Porcelana: The Holy Grail of Pure Criollos" (Maricel E. Presilla)

"Porcelana: The Holy Grail of Pure Criollos" (Maricel E. Presilla)
December 12, 2005
4:07 pm
Domenico
Budapest, Hungary

Thanks, I browsed through all the available "virtual" info. But in the real world, how does it taste to bite into a "black heart"? [:)]

December 21, 2005
5:34 pm
asmokemezzo

Just tried the Bonnat 100% and it is DEFINTIELY tart - not something I'm going to eat regularly but I think it might make an amazing ganache. It's also a little waxy - not offensively so - and very smooth. I also tasted Cluziel's Noir Infini - now THAT is something I could get addicted to. SO chocolaty - just amazing, and not bitter at all. That thick pasty melt - yum! I want another piece!

2nd tasting of Bonnat - still tart, tart TART! I also tried the Slitti 100% and I find it both tart and bitter, slightly grainy and not as nicely textured as the Bonnat. That one will definitely end up in the baking/truffle making pile. I have 3 different Domori 100% bars to try, but it's going to take something REALLY great to sway me from the Cluizel. Noir Infini is GOOD stuff!!!!!!!!!!!

January 9, 2006
2:32 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Noir Infini being merely "good" is perhaps the understatement of the day. It's beyond description. I recall Bonnat's 100% being very tart as well, so much so that my mouth puckered intensely while the thick paste served as a glue to keep them stuck together. It's an experience, all right, one that will definitely knock your socks off if you're not careful. It might be just too acidic.

I found Slitti's 100% almost too edible for its class. It was remarkably mild, not at all what I expected. Last time I tried it was several years ago so maybe it's different now. I heard he underwent some production changes anyway.

As far as Domori, I'll withhold opinion to prevent affecting your own. But I think you'll find the 100% (from the 75g line) to be the best, especially if you like Noir Infini so much. The 100% is actually one of the better unsweeteneds on the market today. The other two are quite red and acidic, which although aren't necessarily bad things by themselves, will however disappoint slightly in light of Noir Infini.

January 9, 2006
1:28 pm
Domenico
Budapest, Hungary

Andrea Slitti really made some changes in production, and for good! However note that as in a former discussion he told, he does not like long conching but rather refines the particles down to below 10 microns and if I understood well he adds some unconched paste as well before moulding. It is true that Slitti 100% is VERY edible.
My experience of the Domori (in fact, Kamba) Chacao 100% 75g organic bar was rather disappointing. (I hope I do not speak about the same bar as you). Consistence is excellent, fantastic, but aromas are: burnt plastic, with tartness, rancid butter and blue cheese or call it very green olive notes. The aftertaste is good, but not chocolatey at all. I got it from the Xocolat shop, Vienna, so it was probably stored right.

Sorry I incorrectly wrote 75g instead of 50g. The bar is Chacao Puro 100% 50g, cocoa from the Dominican Republic. Kamba srl.is the company, member of the Domori group that actually makes the bar under the brand Chacao (in my understanding).
The 75 g bar you talk about is an entirely different world.

January 9, 2006
4:06 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

So are you referring to three bars? Because by the sound of it, you're only mentioning two: the Kamba 100% and Chacao Puro 100%, which are each 100g and 50g respectively. The bar I speak of is the 75g 100%, which is a blend of two varietals and should not be confused, especially since it is Domori's (not to mention, other companies') best effort at unsweetened.

Chacao Puro certainly is nowhere near this level of greatness, and can't even hold a candle to its magnificent cousin, Absolute, which imo, is an outstanding chocolate period. In fact, few other chocolates can rival everything what Absolute offers, and to make matters more interesting, it's organic. Puro disappoints heavily, especially when you consider how awesome Absolute is; it's odd how the lack of sugar can totally transform the experience into something almost inedible. I wanted to like that bar, but I honestly couldn't. I was a bit merciful with the review, however.... If you read the two reviews, you'll see why.

I found Kamba 100% and Kamba Blend 70 to be the reverse, actually, and recall liking the former more than the latter. The acidity, imo, was just too high for my liking in Blend 70, but in the 100%, it was contained just right, perhaps by the lack of additional sugar. Texture, of course, was much better too and just delivered a stronger hit in all departments.

January 9, 2006
5:25 pm
ellie
london, United Kingdom

Now, isn't it so strange - yes, the one which Domori puts quite high, Puro from the top range, Cacao cult, I also find just as unpalatable, as "Cuban cigar".Domori Puro from Chacao organic range isn't too bad, more on the interesting grapefruit site. But really the best one ever for me is that one, funnily enough, not expensive (gosh,pls, don't change pricing policy)100% from the Style range that 75g bar Monte mentions as well. Worth a poem.

January 9, 2006
6:02 pm
asmokemezzo

Okay, I just tasted the Domori 100%s - the 75g bar that I think Monte was talking about (labelled 100% Pasta di Cacao, made with 2 Venezulan trinitario-type beans)is WONDERFUL! A close second to Noir Infini as far as the 100%s I've tried. It's both tart and bitter but both of those sensations are kept well in check, and there are wonderful flashes of fruity sweetness throughout the melt - actual sweetness! The texture is a little less waxy than the usual Domori (I like the waxiness, but this is fine too).

The other 2 Domori bars I have are the Chacao Puro (a 50g bar) and another 50g square bar marked just Puro (made with cacao trinitario Sur del Lago). The Chacao bar is overwhelmingly sharp and bitter but there are waves of wonderful flavor that make me want to try the lower percentages of this Chacao line - I think it would be wonderful at 85% or even 90%. The other Puro bar (I think it's part of their Ethnics line?) has wonderful extra-smooth texture and also has some nice flavors but is again too tart and bitter for regular comsumption - a very bitter finish. Neither of these are even close to the 75g bar in my opinion.

January 9, 2006
6:14 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Told ya so [;)]

In that Chacao line, there is a 90% bar called Crystal that has sugar crystals embedded inside of it. I haven't tried it, and I have a bar awaiting that trial, but I keep forgetting about it! At any rate, the Chacao Puro does have very few moments of acceptability, but as a whole, it's not so good. I found the harshness of it too extreme and it desperately needed the sugar to smoothen it out and to bring the desirable aspects to the forefront. This is why Absolute is so remarkable.

The Ethnics Puro (Domori's first stab at unsweetened chocolate) is unexpectedly acidic for a Sur del Lago, but considering Domori's processing, its unusual characteristics aren't as surprising anymore. It's quite edible, of course, but according to the rightful consensus here, it doesn't compare to the 75g 100%.

least bitter 100% or 99% chocolate? | Page 5 | Fine chocolate bar discussion | Forum