July 31, 2006
We now have a mod that allows to take any replies within a topic and send them of into a new topic, in the same forum or another.
I’d like to suggest a standard for doing this. First, here are the instructions:
- If you are moderator for that section, you will see a new icon on the far right of the icons at the top of a topic.
- It looks like a red arrow going into two sheets of paper. Hit this and you will be taken to a page where you can check which posts you want to move, and give the new topic a name.
- Make sure you choose a new, relevant name, otherwise the original name will be repeated.
- If the new topic belongs in a different forum or category, you can choose this from the list of forums.
- Tick the checkboxes for the replies you want to move – they don’t have to be in order, but I think the first one will become the ‘topic post’ – the first post of the new topic.
- Hit the ‘Split topic button and then you’re done.
- Finally, edit the new and old topic using the guides below, to let everyone know what happened
On the topic you split the replies from, post something like this:
Topic split, new topic is:
“Bar tasting techniques”
[ hr ]
On the new topic, you should go into edit the first post and add the following before the text of the post begins:
Topic split from:
“Gobino: Monte, are you the victim of hidden bloom?”
[ hr ]
Take the spaces out of “[ hr ]” and it will create a horizontal rule.
Does that all make sense? Please comment if good or bad …