3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.
The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.
Please consider registering
September 30, 2004
Well according to Domori’s website, the value of chocolate is 50% cacao’s genetics, and soil and weather only 5%. If that is correct I guess you can take a let`s say Ocumare 61 and plant in Chuao and Madagascar and the chocolate will taste pretty much the same from both places. Of course the prossesing must be the same for both. Or?
September 30, 2004
August 1, 2006
Your numbers add up to 55%, so what contributes to the remaining 45% of flavor? Processing obviously. But, I think soil and weather play a much more remarkable role than a mere 5%. A good quality soil will nurture a plant to the point that it will yield some of the best food you can get. Vidalia onions are the perfect example. The gases released in the soil contribute heavily to their sweet flavor. Planting a Vidalia onion plant outside of Vidalia, Georgia (in let’s say, Hawaii) would not produce the same flavor that the soil in Vidalia does. In fact, Vidalia onions are your standard Yellow Granex variety found in every grocery store, but the nutrients and gases unique to the Vidalia soil transform the ordinary flavor into something extraordinary.
July 31, 2006
I don’t think there is a Chuao ‘prototype’ though, it’s the mix of varieties, plus the conditions that make the flavour. So you will only get the true Chuao flavour from Chuao. Anything else might be very good, and interesting, but is unlikely to be quite the same. This doesn’t mean Domori are not right, but you would need the combination of varieties to get Chuao, not just one genotype.
I think treatment by the maker would make up the other 45% …