Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
20/20 has segment on chocolate 2-18-05
February 18, 2005
10:44 pm
chocbloc
laurel, USA
Forum Posts: 29

Just saw in my TiVo summary for tonight's show that one of the segments is on the myth that chocolate is bad for you. Check it out.

Mike (restin' on my laurels and my hardys too)

Mike (restin' on my laurels and my hardys too)
February 24, 2005
1:37 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Missed it by an hour, but I'm sure it's nothing special. I did a search on Yahoo tv and it said the original air date was in 2001. Anyway, I saw on CNN during the week of Valentine's several segments on chocolate, some of which were focused on its nutritional benefits and so on. The reporter was munching on a bar of "expensive European chocolate," which just so happened to be Droste.

February 24, 2005
5:48 am
Masur
Stockholm, Sweden
Forum Posts: 592

quote:

The reporter was munching on a bar of "expensive European chocolate," which just so happened to be Droste.

[:)]

"Porcelana: The Holy Grail of Pure Criollos" (Maricel E. Presilla)

February 24, 2005
6:15 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Do you like Droste, masur? I have some Barettini 72% bars here my dad picked up for me while he was visiting family in Holland. It's quite bitter, maybe almost metallic, and the villianous vanillin is used.

February 24, 2005
7:41 am
Masur
Stockholm, Sweden
Forum Posts: 592

It was an ironic comment because I prefer real chocolate. The last time I treied Droste was a few years ago and it was a dark 72% bar with vanillin. Not much remembered from that occation but I might try Droste again one day. Droste is available all over Sweden.

February 24, 2005
8:06 am
Polarbear
Tromsø, Norway
Forum Posts: 299

Droste sucks - harsh, bitter, vanillin soaked and very gritty.

BTW, I would be somewhat hesitant to trust what I hear on such programs, because journalists often know very little about the stuff they cover(what they call "being independent"), and the result will be that they either think that everyone is trying to betray them, or they will swallow any bait an e.g. the choc industry might give them.

My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...

*** My name is Polarbear and I am a chocoholic...
February 24, 2005
4:53 pm
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

Well, yeah, they just report the facts that are given to them just to receive that paycheck. Besides, is it any coincidence that all these stories are being aired around Valentine's anyway? No wonder sales of chocolate increase during this time. People hear these stories and stock up. It involves more than just the "that time of year" mentality. Just look at how popular diet and fashion trends rotate on a seasonal basis.

Besides, these stories (for the general public, mind you) are a VERY basic and broad overview of the truth, pieces of information that are easy to "digest" and require minimal attention. However, it IS an improvement and a starting point to introduce the general public to finer chocolate. Better to eat that Droste bar than the Hershey's bar, imo.

20/20 has segment on chocolate 2-18-05 | News | Forum