Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
2003 vintage Valrhonas
October 28, 2003
10:46 am
morton peto
Forum Posts: 29

I bought the Gran Couva and Ampamakia in Partridges, Gloucester Rd (London) last night. £3.75 each. They didn't have the Chuao on display.

Would be interested if anyone has seen the Chuao 2003 somewhere in London...

October 31, 2003
12:32 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA
Forum Posts: 1462

Send them all to me :)

November 2, 2003
9:56 pm
morton peto

All three bars (Chuao, Ampamakia, Gran Couva) are available at The Chocolate Society shop at £3.45. They had a stock of each of the 2002's which were in presentation boxes which they have now taken out of the boxes and are selling for £3.45 each as well- presumably because best before date is the end of this month. They are selling any 6 for the price of 5.

November 11, 2003
12:49 pm
macy
Forum Posts: 2

Just bought the Valrhona Ampamakia and Chuao 2003 from Chocolate Trading Company and cant wait to compare with the 2002 also bought from them, which apparently expires end of December - not that it will even last one day when i get my hands on it !!!!.

February 24, 2004
11:23 am
Emma
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 2

It's well worth noting that The Chocolate Society Shop, 36 Elizabeth Street, London, has the best range of Valrhona Vintage Bars and other Valrhona products in the UK. For those of us that don't live in London ( I think I remember reading somewhere that someone was complaining about the lack of good chocolate available outside London) , they also operate a mail order service - http://www.chocolate.co.uk. [The truffles made with organic chocolate are to die for!]

Emma Field

Emma Field
February 26, 2004
5:13 pm
elethe
London, United Kingdom
Forum Posts: 3

Fortnum and Mason and Selfridges both have the Ampamakia and Chuao 2003 - and F and M has the Gran Couva.

They are all £3.50 in Fortnum and Masons and (I believe) £2.95 in Selfridges.

March 17, 2004
5:40 pm
morton peto

Harvey Nichols has them all for £2.95. Selfridges does not have Gran Couva- which I would say is the most flavoursome this year.

Incidentally the most expensive I have seen is La Fromagerie (off Marylebone High Street) which has them for £3.95.

I would say Harvey Nichols has at least as wide a range of Valrhona products as Chocolate Society. It also stocks Valrhona bars now.

March 19, 2004
5:32 am
theobroma
MIlwaukee, USA
Forum Posts: 89

Wow! What a competitive market!
kyle

Oh no! My Agustus!

Oh no! My Agustus!
March 19, 2004
7:53 pm
Masur
Stockholm, Sweden
Forum Posts: 592

Ampamakia 2002 was a sensation. Ampamakia 2003 was a disappointment compared to the previous vintage. Don't miss the opportunity to compare yourself.

Masur

"Porcelana: The Holy Grail of Pure Criollos" (Maricel E. Presilla)
June 8, 2004
11:47 am
Hayley
Auckland, New Zealand
Forum Posts: 14

Is there anyone from New Zealand here? It's lovely to read all these, but it's all a bit distant for me all the way down here!

June 8, 2004
12:13 pm
alex_h
Forum Posts: 1170

cocoloco (or coco_loco; check the list of members) is from oz. is that close enought to you, hayley?

June 8, 2004
12:15 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway
Forum Posts: 397

Hi Hayley, not easy to tell whether some are from 'down under' unless they decide to reveal their nationalities themselves. Would have been fun to hear what chocolate's like in NZ though!

"Man cannot live by chocolate alone - but woman can." (Unknown)
June 8, 2004
7:43 pm
legodude
Norway
Forum Posts: 161

I tasted Valrhona Ampamakia 2003 here the other day, and I can not say I were impressed. Like the Manjari better. Read here at the forum that the 2002 was better. LoneLy; do they have the 2002 at Jacobs or somewhere else in Oslo? Also tasted the other two vintage chocolates; Gran Couva and Chuao. I prefer Gran Couva of the three. I guess I like Madagascar Criollo better than Venezuelan.

"I`ve got lots of friends in San José. Do you know the way to San José?"
June 8, 2004
10:08 pm
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway

They don't have more of Ampamakia 2002 at Jacob's (Oslo) because I bought the last three bars last year ... I guess it was early autumn. And they're gone. Can't say I was too impressed, but they were slightly better than 2003.

I prefer Valrhona Chuao to the other. In fact I liked it so much that I bought a bar even when I had lots of stuff from Amedei and Cluizel available. I also like Manjari although I tend to use most of it for hot chocolate - liked it better in the beginning though. 70% is still classic to me. In fact I discovered in the weekend that their 61% baking chocolate was nice too - for baking that is.

June 9, 2004
3:13 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

LoneLy, are you referring to Guanaja 70% or the Noir 71%? The 61% is indeed pretty good, very fruity, as usual. The 55% is good too, but it's way too sweet. I have a pound of it here that I don't know what to do with. I tried it in a recipe, but it was rather sweet.

June 9, 2004
9:24 am
Lone Ly
Oslo, Norway

Montegrano, It's Guanaja 70%. I use to buy the 200g blocks. I thought that was the only 70% and the only Guanaja except some of this stuff with nuts and orange that might have the same name (i don't care much about them). I can guess 55% is sweet, yes. Since I got tired of Manjari 64% in hot chocolate (way too fruity and too sweet), I tried Guanaja 70% instead - yum! Sweet enough, chocolaty enough. Don't know what to do? I know ... [:D]

June 10, 2004
3:22 am
Hans-Peter Rot
USA

The one with nuts was either Caraibe 66% with hazelnuts or their 61% bar with hazelnuts; the bar with orange peel is Manjari. I don't understand why Valrhona doesn't make that bar without the orange peel. I think I might use the 55% to experiment with in a recipe, perhaps a cake or brownies (everyone loves brownies).

2003 vintage Valrhonas | Sources for fine chocolate bars | Forum