3 Jan 2014: The Forum is currently in read-only made while we update to a new version of the Seventy% website and forum.
The forum will be back with a faster, simplified and up to date website in the next two months.
Please consider registering
April 20, 2008
Hi there,can anyone help with the following. I use Becolade dark chocolate and find its like wall paper paste. So the question is, how do I thin it down using cocoa butter? Do I have to premelt the cocoa butter and then add to my callets and temper the two together. Also should it be just 1% of the total quantity of chocolate?
I would appreciate any help on this one as thick chocolate is a night mare to use in moulds.
September 30, 2004
June 23, 2007
Hi, I may be wrong, but are you talking about using mycryo? Don’t mistake the adding of mycryo for adding cocoa butter….it’s the 1% thing that stood out. Mycryo is, of course, cocoa butter too, but if you add it to cool chocolate (34 or less) it will make your viscosity problem worse, as it is the stable form of the crystal and will gradually over-crystalise your mass. If you are adding cocoa butter to thin, melt it thoroughly before adding to melted chocolate and tempering all together. In this case, using mycryo rather than block or callets is simply way more expensive.
The best solution is to use a couverture with a suitable consistency for the job. Belcolade and callebaut’s basic ranges tend to be quite thick, but they should all bear a key of their relative viscosity and the usage for which they are intended.
Hope that helps.
April 20, 2008
August 25, 2008
Did you have any luck? I am using Belcolade and having a nightmare too, wonder if they have changed formulation. Wont work in my PRefamac, my Mol dart melting tank or on granite. Totally wallpaper paste every single time. Just about managed a batch tempering in the microwave. The room is quite cold at the moment, but never had a problem with Callebaut or Valrhona like this.
Be great to hear if the cocoa butter worked (I tried yesterday but didnt work for me, think it was prob too cold in the unit!)