January 26, 2006
Two days ago, I put some white chocolate in the melter and it melted for about 15 hours (I usually put my chocolate to melt overnight for about 12 hours from 9pm to 9am). I don't know why, but when I came at 9 am to temper it, there was some kind of oily yellowish substance in diferent areas of the container. I would like to know the reason why this substance came? Could it be:
-that it melted too long?
-that the temperature was too high?
-Is it going to ruin the chocolate? I actually took this "melted butter" out of the chocolate before tempering it... just in case!
Thanks for telling me if something similar happened to you in the past and how to get out of it?
Thanks in advance for your help,
September 30, 2004
It's cocoa butter that has separated from the solids. It's fairly common. Stir it up and reincorporate it, it'll be fine. Higher temperatures will make this happen more quickly (you don't note what temp you melted at), and longer times spent under heat will also exacerbate the situation.
Yes, it is cocoa butter. Cocoa butter has a slight yellow tint to it. "White chocolate" is made from cocoa butter, sugar, and powdered / dry milk. Sometimes a bit of lecithin is added as an emulsifier to help things mix more consistently.
The cocoa butter is extracted from cocoa liquor (ground up cocoa bean) through the means of a large hydraulic press. The solids are ground into cocoa powder. The cocoa butter is tapped off and used to make white chocolate, added to regular chocolate and goes into the cosmetic and other industries.
As Sebastian has said, simply stir it all back together and you will be fine.
Most Users Ever Online: 89
Currently Browsing this Page:
Hans-Peter Rot: 1462
Martin Christy: 614
Lone Ly: 397
Maria Teresa Barros Duarte Almeida
Guest Posters: 1